Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Crest Launches "Honesty Campaign" with Release of 'Semen Flavor' White Strips


DANBURY, Connecticut (DH)- This week Crest launched its controversial "Honesty Campaign" with the release of a modified product line: Crest White Strips Semen Flavor. 'From now on, we just call 'em like we see 'em.'

The idea for the campaign began last april in a conversation between two staffers in the break lounge. Kathy Baker and Jerry Fowler, both market analysts for Crest, tried out free samples of Crest White Strips. Kathy recounts the conversation.

"I put it in my mouth and licked my teeth and I looked over at Jerry and said, 'I know this sounds crazy, but do you taste a hint of semen?'" Jerry remembers the conversation.

"After she asked me I licked my teeth and was like, 'Yeah, I get a little bit of that cum aftertaste thing happening here in my mouth, too.' And so we thought we'd write a memo to the Director of Marketing.

When asked to recall what happened Stan Donger, the Director of Marketing Strategies for Crest, he remembers smiling.

"I read the memo and took off my glasses. I thought I was the only one who tasted this and thought that it was just a weird 'me' thing; but I guess it wasn't just me. Others tasted it too. So I called Atlantic Studies and had them conduct some focus groups for us."

The Atlantic Studies focus groups received a huge response, especially from young people in the 18-25 demographic: "These [white strips] taste like cum."

"We also learned that many within the focus groups found the 'minty fresh' label to be misleading," Donger continues.

When asked candidly about the 'minty fresh' label, many focus groupers responsed very strongly.

"Yeah, minty fresh my ass, it tastes like someone tossed a load off in my mouth," said Gary Lipschitz, 22.

"Yeah", agreed fellow focus grouper, Sandy Wacker, 34. "I didn't find these to be minty fresh at all. I found the taste rather offensive, actually. Like I was being punished for something." Donger, however, says the message Crest wants to convey is of up front honesty, not inappropriateness.

"We just want to be up front and say, 'Hey everyone, those of us at Crest want to let you know that we just want to call it like we see it.' And I think we'll garner lots of admiration coming out with such an edgy campaign. We're paving the way for others to follow our example."

Since 'Semen Flavor' White Strips hit the shelves last week Crest has received over four million emails, letters and phone calls vigorously opposing its new campaign.

"This is digusting," says Pam Snowden of White Bear Lake, Minnesota.

When asked about this negative response, Stan Donger just smiled and shook his head.

"We're not in this market to be popular or well-liked. We're in this market to offer a cutting-edge, honest product. Some people just don't want to hear the truth. Those responses don't surprise me one bit. Nothing will disuade me. I'm feeling good about this thing. So will you. Just wait. You'll see."

Crest White Strips 'Semen Flavor' can be found at your local Walgreens or CVS.

2 comments:

Fibo said...

Nice Blog :)

Anonymous said...

I am using crest white strips in 2024 and can confirm they taste semen.